Volunteers are critical to sustaining the important work of St. Mary’s Center and allowing more resources be allocated directly to life-changing programs and services. Volunteers work on a variety of projects designed to match volunteers’ skill sets with St. Mary’s Center’s programmatic and administrative needs. We welcome volunteers with diverse backgrounds and a passion for helping others! St. Mary’s Center greatly appreciates the time, energy, and dedication of our volunteers.
Requirements for volunteers may vary depending on the nature and length of the project.
There are numerous ways you may engage in the important work of St. Mary’s Center. Below are just a few!
We also collaborate with Corporate Partners, click here for Corporate Brochure.
Organize a drive for needed items
Help our families by collecting and delivering these highly essential items! Ideal for schools, offices, and social and religious organizations.
- Gift cards to grocery stores, drugstores, Target, Walmart, TJMaxx, Marshalls, Toys R Us, etc.
- New and unused toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.
- New bed sheets (twin and full), pillows, towels, comforters, blankets/quilts,
- Diapers, baby wipes and new crib sheets.
- New household items: dishes, silverware, pots & pans, storage containers, etc
Click here for the full list of needs.
Host a Third Party Event
Host a fundraising event at your home, office, or other location. Our Development staff will work closely with you to plan all details of the event to ensure a successful event to cultivate donors, educate guests about St. Mary’s Center, and raise critical funds for our organization.
All third-party coordinators are required review St. Mary’s Center’s agreement form and all events must be approved by the St. Mary’s Center in advance.
St. Mary’s Center seeks volunteers to help with large mailings, including coordination, stuffing, sealing, and mailing envelopes, and other administrative duties, including data entry, filing, photo-copying and general office work.
Diamonds of Dorchester: St. Mary’s Center’s signature fundraising event typically hosted in the fall requires volunteers to help to greet guests, work the registration table, help with light clean-up and packing of event items following of the event and other duties as assigned.
Family Literacy Celebration: a celebration typical held in the summer to encourage families to read together and building a community or literary programs. We ask that volunteers take over a booth or activity of their desired and mutually agreed upon activity.
Because of the unique challenges the families we serve face including trauma and abuse we require specific requirements for volunteers who would be working directly with our families in our programs.
- Background check (CORI and SORI)
- Adherence to all department policies and procedures
- Minimum associate’s degree or relevant professional experience required
- Previous experience in the field of social services or familiarity with human-services
- Comfortable with giving/receiving clear, direct feedback from supervisors and peers
- Appropriately interact with people from diverse socio-economic, racial and cultural backgrounds
- Maintains an attitude of fairness, openness, and respect and supports the development of cultural competency at St. Mary’s Center
How to Apply
- Decide on a program.
- Fill out the Volunteer Application form and email it to the Development team at email@example.com.
- A Development staff person will contact you with more information or to discuss opportunities and next steps.
All volunteers must be 18 years or older. Unfortunately, we do not accept Community Service requirement projects.